Monday, February 3, 2014

The Fear of the Big Bulk

HIIT, (high intensity interval training),  has been proven to burn more calories and blast more fat than your traditional steady state cardio.  I used to run, and run and run.  Then I realized I was skinny fat.  Not an ounce of muscle in my entire body.  (Ok, maybe a little muscle, but not much!)  When I started to lift weights I noticed small changes.  When I started lifting heavy weights, I noticed big changes.  I weigh more than I ever have, (other than pregnancy).  However, I am also in the smallest size I have ever been in.

It's funny when I look around the gym.  I usually see the same faces, doing the same things.  Day after day.  The same women on the same cardio equipment, moving at the same snail pace as yesterday.  I commend them for doing something, but change is good.  And without it, they will probably never achieve the goals they have.  I can't stress enough how important I think strength training is.  I hear so many women say, "I just want to tone up.  I don't want to get all big and bulky."  Really?  What do you think "toning up" is?  It's adding muscle!  And the more you have, the more "tone" you will have.  As far as getting "all big and bulky,"  PUH - LEASE.  It's not easy for women to "tone up" or build muscle.  We don't have the genetic makeup, aka testosterone, to achieve the big bulky look.  And those who are able to get there do it by eating a crap ton of clean foods and YEARS of consistent heavy lifting.  (And yes, some use supplements that help gain mass as well.)  But rest assured, lifting weights will not get you there alone. 

Don't be scared!  "I lifted weights and hate my toned body," said NO ONE ever!  So cut back on the steady state cardio and hit the weight room! Mix that with some weekly HIIT cardio and watch the transformation begin!  Let's make it a revolution of ladies in the weight room!  Perhaps force some of the men on over to the cardio section!

No comments:

Post a Comment