Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I'm BACKKKK!

It's a new year!  Has anyone noticed I've been MIA for the last 10 months or so?  Along with everyone else in the world, I have been busy making excuses.  Yes, I'm married, work full time and have 3 kiddos, but this blog helped me be accountable when I was keeping up with it.  SO, one of my resolutions is to try and make weekly entries. Surely I can find the time to make a mere 52 entries!

Not much has changed in my world.  Still working out and still striving for progress.  Remember, "progress, NOT perfection."  I am seeing gains in the strength department, and this makes me smile.  Some days I think I can lift heavier, but without a spotter I get nervous.  My hubby has committed to lifting a couple of days a week again, so I might get a little crazy when he's with me!

I haven't really ran since July.  I always break from the pavement in the summer months.  The heat and humidity really mess with my allergies.  Normally, I am back at it by now, but have procrastinated due to the bitter cold and snow.  I have convinced some of the teachers I work with to sign up for a 1/2 marathon with me.  It looks like we will run the Women's half here in Indy in June.  Training will not have to officially start until March, but I plan to pick up my runs in February.  This excites me.  I have always had a time goal in the past, and my only goal this time is to get all of my friends across that finish line!

In other news, my little ol' blog had 1600 hits last year! That's not a lot to some, but to me it's great!  Especially since I haven't made an entry in almost 10 months!  So, for those of you who do read, leave me a comment and let me know what you'd like to see me post.  More workouts?  Recipes? 

I'll leave you with a recipe that is a staple in our house.  Actually one of the hubby's favorites.


Paleo Orange Chicken
courtesy of Health-Bent

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite size pieces)

  • 3 T fat (coconut oil works well here)
  • juice of 2 oranges*
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 1 t fresh ginger
  • 3 T coconut aminos or wheat-free soy sauce
  • 1 t chili garlic sauce or sriracha
  • 3 green onions, chopped

  •  

    In a medium size sauce pot, add the orange juice, zest, ginger, coconut aminos and chili garlic sauce or sriracha. Set over medium heat and let simmer to reduce and thicken while the chicken cooks. In a saute pan, heat 3 T of the fat of your choice, over medium high heat. Add the chopped chicken thighs and cook until a nice brown crust has developed on the chicken pieces, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken to the sauce pot and stir to coat with the orange sauce. Serve topped with sliced green onions. *Taste your oranges. If they don’t taste orange-y, then neither will this dish. Use tangerines if you gotta or add a teaspoon of sweetener until you’re satisfied with the flavor.

    This is super easy and SO good.  Since we don't follow the paleo lifestyle, we usually serve this with a side of whole grain basmati rice and a veggie or side salad.  We have also used chicken breast, and it is equally as tasty!

    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment