Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Quick and Easy Energy Snack Mix

I am a big time snacker.  At my desk, in the car, on-the-go.  It's no joke.  I mostly reach for the sweet and salty mixes.  As time has evolved, I am proud to say I no longer depend on store bought, pre-packaged snacks.  You know, the trail mixes, chex mixes, and bags of all things mixed together to create utter goodness. They are usually high in sodium and processed "stuff."  So, I scoured Pinterest and tried several recipes and then kind of created my own. 

Here's the link to the recipe that I based it off of:
http://cookeatpaleo.com/chili-spiced-mixed-nuts/

I made a few "tweaks," such as leaving out the cumin, and adding in banana chips and pumpkin seeds.  (And honestly, I don't measure a thing when I cook.  This leads to trouble when kind folks ask me for the recipe.  Apparently not everyone knows or understands my lingo..... a dash of this, a squirt of this, a dollop of that....)  You could also add dried cranberries or raisins, wasabi peas, etc.

The honey and coconut oil create a glaze that I cannot even describe.  That, mixed with the spices, make a great sweet and salty snack.

The one thing I will say is smoked paprika ROCKS, however too much might be overpowering.  Taste as you go, and add more if necessary!

Chili Spiced Mixed Nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment